I think I had a pretty good day, diet-wise yesterday. I am regaining my focus in an effort to get down to my recent low and start knocking off more pounds. Alas, my scale is stuck. It won't budge. I think it's broken.
Yesterday's breakfast wasn't great. I had a half of a breakfast burrito, then I dug out all the bacon and left the extra layers of tortilla that bunch up at the bottom. It wasn't a big burrito, so I conservatively estimate my caloric intake for breakfast at 250 calories. Lunch was a garden burger and a garden salad. The burger was about 350 calories (mostly in the bun) and the salad may have ventured close to 100 calories because I snuck in some greek olives, candied pecan bits and a little artificial crab meat (I just love that stuff). I had a mid-day snack of mini-rice cakes drizzled lightly in chocolate. That was another 90 calories. Dinner was a baked potato, broccoli, asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and a little shredded jack cheese on top. My guess is that this totalled 450-500 calories. That would bring my daily total to 1290 calories. Let's just round it up to 1300. It's not a stellar day, but it certainly should promote weight loss.
Something else very unusual happened to me today. I woke up early again, well before my alarm was scheduled to go off. Since I am NOT a morning person, this rarely happens, although it has happened to me three times this week. I got up and exercised. I was going to keep the first week real simple and not go over 10 minutes on the elliptical and a little weight-lifting. However, today was different. I found my long-lost IPod, still loaded with my all-time favorite songs and I put it on during exercise. I didn't want to stop. Never in my life (and I do mean NEVER), have I actually enjoyed exercise. It has always been torture. From those childhood memories of running laps around the track in stage II LA smog to the failed diets, I have always dreaded every minute of physical exertion. This isn't the first time I have exercised to music, so that cannot be the sole reason I had fun. As far as exercise goes, I love a good hike (i.e., easy stroll in a mountain forest), but other than that, I just want to stay relaxed and immobile.
So today was another milestone. I really enjoyed my exercise and I had to force myself to stop after 22 minutes (remember I am a severely obese couch potato) because my legs were feeling like jelly and my husband could hear me breathing through the walls and thought I was in need of medical attention. I finished it off with a little weight-lifting for the upper body and a nice relaxing bath. I managed to get both girls dressed and ready for school and I was out the door for work and in the office by 7:15 AM. I think I must be dreaming.
Today's food so far---1 large banana at approximately 150 calories.

Woohoo for LIKING exercise! A friend and I have this theory that PE classes ruined us early on. ;) Did they have to make it torture? I dont know what it is like now, but they should revamp it to make us see how activity can be fun and we can succeed at it. I always felt like a failure in gym. If team sports or awful games like dodgeball arent what a person likes, why not find some things students will like and continue with? Oh anyhow.
ReplyDeleteI think your efforts will show up on the scale eventually. They just have to. I always want immediate results- like if wow I resisted that piece of cake- I want to go weigh and see a pound off. LOL But it usually shows up in a couple of days. So just keep it up!
Also, have you heard of blending (as opposed to juicing I guess)? After reading about it on 3 seperate blogs (not weight loss blogs either) this week, I think I am meant to try it. I dont choke down enough veggies and salads so this seems appealing to me and peeps who dont look like they need to lose much are losing a lot JUST adding this to their day.
You fill a blender with raw baby spinach and a bit of water (up to a cup) and blend until it liquifies. Then add 1-2 cups of frozen fruit. You can do whatever you want here- frozen berries, fresh, a pear, a banana...whatever. And blend again. It apparently tastes like the fruit and not the spinach but you are getting all those greens in you. Kale is supposed to be good too (and higher fiber so may lead to greater weight loss).
One a day is supposed to lead to weight loss, prettier skin and more energy.
I am getting the stuff to try it today so cant say for sure that it is drinkable, but I am hearing that it is not only drinkable but very tasty! :)