
Over the past few weeks, one of my techniques for maintain my focus and motivation has been to read everything I can about diet and nutrition. Not every book has been satisfying, but they all help me keep my mind on the prize. After having seen the movie "Forks Over Knives", I wanted to continue my research on this very intriguing concept of eating a whole foods plant-based diet.
So after reading "The 21 Day Kickstart" and a few other books, I ordered "The China Study". While my mind was open to the concept of eliminating animal products from my diet, I tend to be a very skeptical person. I look at most things with a questioning eye and rarely ever believe any ads or commercials. As an engineer, I seek logical, detailed and thoroughly scientific explanations for things. I want to know all about who is giving me a message. What is their experience? What are their credentials? What is their agenda?
Even with my critical eye, I was blown away by what I read in this book. I am amazed that it has been out for 5 years already and has never crossed my radar. It covers decades of research, hundreds of studies, critical observation and rational conclusions as to why our society suffers the illnesses we do. These illnesses aren't just a result of longer lifespans and typical old age, they are a result of what we put into our bodies day after day and year after year. I was so concerned with how swept up I became in the story, so I looked for evidence, studies and opinions to the contrary. There are many. I read them thoughtfully and with an open mind. From my observations, those who suggest the science behind this book is faulty or misinterpreted tend to have specific agendas and limited credentials. It is far too early for me to place both my feet in one camp or the other, but I am convinced enough to give it a try and see how it goes. I suspect that it will take years rather than weeks to really conclude personally that I am on the right path. And while I make these choices, I will always attempt to keep an open mind and not be judgemental of those who draw differing conclusions.
Most of us know that what we eat leads to heart disease and cancer, but what we don't understand is how (or what foods are the real culprits). I don't think we realize that many powerful industries tend to suffer a great loss if people were to adopt diets devoid of most animal products. These companies exhibit great power in managing our dietary recommendations and governmental regulations. I don't want to expand for fear of sounding like a conspiracy theorist. It's not that complicated. It's a simple trail of money and power that can easily be pieced together with a little effort. And it's all laid out detail by detail, piece by piece, in this fascinating and easy to read book.

No comments:
Post a Comment