It looks like I have reached another milestone. I vaguely remembered that I had a couple tops stashed away because I had outgrown them. This past weekend, I pulled the box down from the closet shelf, dusted the lid and proceded to dive in. What I found was way more than a couple tops. It was close to 14 or 15 items, many of them suitable for winter. I haven't worn winter clothes in years. Instead, I was just wearing short sleeved tops with coats over them. Opening the box was a wonderful feeling as I tried on top after top and all but two of them fit. The two that don't quite fit yet are only an inch or so away, just about 10 more pounds to lose is my guess. I actually tossed a couple because they were a bit TOO BIG. I missed the window of opportunity there.
I have worked hard to simplify my life and keep my posessions to only those items I really use or need. I throw things out or give them away whenever I can. One of my rules has been that if I buy a new article of clothing, I need to get rid of an old one. Well, I just couldn't get myself to part with a dozen tops, but I did manage to dispose of a half-dozen that are less-than-favorites. I may have to compromise my principles and go buy more clothes hangers. At least I am all set clotheswise through the end of the year with the possible exception of needing to purchase some smaller pants.
The Maximum Weight Loss program that I mentioned in my previous post worked really well. I have added back in a few non-plan items for variety (like tofu and whole grain pasta). But, should I reach another plateau, I wouldn't hesitate to use the MWL program again for a "jump start". I am beginning to get excited now that my weight loss is up to 52 pounds. It's starting to feel real, natural and permanent.
I look at the food that most people eat and nearly all of it is off limits to me. It doesn't even seem like food anymore. Eating it would be akin to eating my napkin or plate. Other people would look at me and think I was deprived or that I was missing out on one of life's big pleasures. Well, I've spent the past 27 years "not missing out" and I am tired of it. In fact, I enjoy my food now more than ever. I look forward to my meals and I finish satisfied and guilt-free. I think to myself, "If I was guaranteed not to gain anymore weight, would I willingly trade the food I eat now for the yummy cheesey, eggy, sugary stuff I used to eat?" I can honestly say, "No. That old food doesn't even appeal to me anymore."
The reason that it's lost its appeal is that I now know how wonderful it feels to eat right. My body feels better. I feel satisfied and in control. I feel happy about my choices and my focus is now on living my life rather than on eating. It is especially nice to be free from the burden of being a slave to food. Because that is what I was, a slave to my food.
So please, don't pity me if you are enjoying your donut or funnel cake or some other decadent feast. I don't feel deprived. I feel liberated.

No comments:
Post a Comment