Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, September 19, 2011

In the Groove

Things are still going great with this new lifestyle of mine. I still love the food and it doesn't feel like dieting.

We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I have managed to hold fast at a 31 pound weight loss (41 from my highest point) for three weeks now. I think eating on vacation slowed down the steady and sure progress that I was making.

Now that I am on a plateau and stuck only a couple of pounds below my last diet termination point, I think it's time again to mix things up. Apparently, I have created some sort of set point at this level and I am beginning to feel like I never lost a pound.

Of all the books that I have been reading lately and of all the doctors that I have been following, I am drawn to the approach suggested by Dr. McDougall. He has been at this lifestyle for decades now and I really like that he focuses on starch foods as the centerpiece to a diet. There is also a lot of emphasis on eating tons of veggies and fruits, but the starch is the base. Essentially, that means brown rice, potatoes, corn, other whole grains and legumes.

While I have been eating this way since June 12, I have decided to try Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weightloss Program (MWP). That means limiting my fruits, omitting added sugars, no bread, no pasta, no nuts or seeds or olives or avocados, and no more of my beloved dark chocolate. I don't intend to stick with this plan all the way to goal, but I am going to try it for a week or two as a "kick start" to my current approach. If it works well, then I might extend it for a few more weeks to expedite the rate of weight loss. However, I don't think I can go a year (or even through the holiday season) without adding back in a few of the items listed herein.

It can be challenging to get to the store often enough for the fresh vegetables, but it does mean that I don't have to go to the health food store as often for exotic meat and cheese substitutes. I have to give those up as well, including tofu, which I am just now acquiring an affection for. It is so versatile and can mimic eggs, meat, yogurt, ice cream and many other products. But since tofu is not permitted on MWP, I will just have to wait until I am ready to add it back in.

Wish me luck. I am hoping for a big weight loss this coming Monday. I'll check in and let you know how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment