Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'll Try Not to Bore You

I am just checking in this morning. I don't really have anything clever to write or any news to report. As a status update, I am now down 15 pounds (25 from my high of January 2010).

The whole foods plant-based diet is really going well for me and my family. I think my husband may be struggling a bit with it. Yet it is so nice to see him take charge of his health and embark upon this change. My focus is still on finding and preparing new recipes to try out. I have got a few staples now that we can fall back on when we aren't feeling creative. I find myself enjoying the preparation more now than ever before. It's almost a challenge to see how many veggies I can fit in and how I can omit the fat. I can now make Mexican rice from scratch and it's not much more work than it would be from a box of Rice-A-Roni. This summer's bounty of tomatoes and zucchini means that I put them in everything. No more opening up a can of diced tomatoes. The simple basic meals are veggie burgers, enchiladas, pasta w/marinara, and stir fry veggies and rice. We also have a hearty white bean soup that I love to make frequently and we can do a nice vegetable soup from scratch anytime.

I keep trying to do things with tofu. The more I use it, the more I like it, but the less my husband likes it. He keeps asking me to do different things with it and he never likes the outcome. It gets a little discouraging, but I am hopeful that I will come up with something he likes yet. My daughter Pearl really loves it. Poor Chloe is relegated mostly to variations of rice, pasta and beans. She will eat corn or artichokes on occasion, but she just doesn't like fruit or veggies. She has adjusted to the conversion to almond and soy milk over dairy. This was my biggest worry as she seemed to enjoy her milk more than anything. She eats a soy ice cream sandwich every night for dessert. She never did like meat either, so that wasn't a big loss.

Next time I'll try to be more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment