Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Feeling Optimistic

Now that Spring Break is over, I am back into the regular swing of the work week. I am really enjoying my new dieting approach and I think it is having some surprising effects on my food choices.

For many years, I have eaten way too much and at the same time I have been telling myself that I cannot have all this stuff. The more I cannot have it, the more I want it. But with my new dieting approach, I am only telling myself to hold off for a few hours at a time. Once those few hours are past, I give myself permission to eat anything I want..guilt free. Somehow, something unexpected is happening. Now that I tell myself "it's all free during my open eating window", I suddenly have found a new level of self-control.

For example, I was at the local drugstore yesterday afternoon. I needed to make a couple small purchases and noticed a stash of Easter items and candy on display for half off. I looked through the stash and saw a few tempting items and I told myself, I could have them if I wanted to. It would be OK as long as I stick to my plan (no eating before 11 AM or after dinner). For some reason, I decided that I wasn't all that tempted and that I could wait until dinner. After all, I had a nice large filling lunch. I had no desire to eat more. If I had been dieting or eating small meals, I might have felt hungry and deprived. Then I would have wanted that candy. Since I was satisfied, I no longer had the urge.

This was not just an isolated example. I also find myself actually eating smaller lunches. Lunch time has often been overwhelmingly difficult. I just cannot seem to stop myself from eating just one more thing (I eat at home). Now, I tell myself, "You can eat something else if you want to". Then I think, "No. I am fine. I can wait until dinner." Wow! Where did this new-found willpower come from? I have been searching for you for years.

I just read an article about the passing of the world's oldest living man, Walter Breuning. He was 114 years old and lived in Montana. Walter said that one of the keys to his longevity was to only eat two meals a day. "That's all anybody really needs" he said. I am beginning to think there may be some wisdom in that advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment