Well, here it is the beginning of August and I haven’t lost any weight in almost 4 months. I haven’t gained, but NOT GAINING isn’t my goal. Losing is. I was hoping that I could just manage to lose very slowly, like 2 or 3 pounds per month. I keep telling myself that it doesn’t matter if this process takes 4 years as long as I am going in the right direction. Somehow, I don’t think standing still is getting me anywhere at all.
I took some time off from the blog, from taking self-portraits and from dieting to just take a breather. It was enough of a reminder to show me that being inactive only makes me more tired. Overeating makes me sick and gives me a sore throat (probably from acid reflux). Not moving forward makes me feel depressed and disappointed.
I took my girls to a birthday party this past weekend and I was watching them have a fun time. Then I suddenly remembered what my youngest daughter had requested for her birthday in January. She wanted to go to the mountains and play in the snow. I remembered how I had thought about taking them skiing for the first time. Then I remembered that I was in no shape to strap on skis and that it is getting close to impossible that I can achieve that goal in 5 months! Suddenly, all those reasons for losing weight were starting to creep back into my mind.
I have found myself getting complacent lately. It’s like I think to myself “I’m still fat, but hey, I’m down 38 pounds and my pants are the smallest size I have worn in years!” That little tidbit of success can only be milked for so long before I need to wake up and realize there’s a lot further to go. And that if I make the effort, the next size down will feel 10 times better than this, and the next size down from that will feel 10 times better than that, and so on. There are some really good feelings just waiting around the corner for me. All I have to do is go after them.
That’s it for today.

Lori,
ReplyDeleteYou are right about sitting still on the scale. That is NOT what you want.
I know that weight loss isn't easy, but being a "side line momma" just isn't gonna cut it either.
I'm happy that you are wanting to push yourself. Let me know if you need some help in that area. :) We can push each other.
Having a goal with a date is key. If I were you I would set a date for the ski trip. Reserve a room now. Get excited. Set a reasonable goal to achieve by then. Use the trip as leverage. If you don't hit the weight, then your family doesn't go. Trust me. This works. You would not want to cheat your baby our of her gift just because the french fries were callin' your name. :)
You and I are blessed to have our little ones, and they should be able to have a great childhood with lots of experiences with their moms (the fact that we are not in our twenties should make no difference). Having extra weight to carry around is more of a handicap than age.
Let's get moving!
I'm waving my pom-poms in the air for you.
I love you and want to see you happy and healthy. Let's do it for our kids, and let's do it because it will make us happier people.
Just want you to know I am thinking of you and rooting for you.
ReplyDeleteWell I came here to tell you that I have been thinking of you but I guess I already said that!! :) I have been in a bit of a funk so not posting and not mailing much but you are one of my favorite bloggy friends and I wanted you to know you have been on my mind. Hope all is well with you and yours!
ReplyDelete